Do Ceramic Coatings Get Water Spots?
Ceramic coatings have the power to transform how you interact with your vehicle. No other product will keep your car looking glossy the way a ceramic coating will, and while providing an exceptional aesthetic affect, coatings protect the vehicle’s coat of paint so it can remain flawless.
When talking about ceramic coatings, a big topic is water spotting. Water spots are created when beads of water are allowed to evaporate on the surface of your car, leaving behind their mineral contents as little white rings. The hydrophobic nature of ceramic coatings is one of its strongest assets, but doesn’t make your car invincible to water spots.
Because ceramic coatings force water into small beads, the vast majority of which roll right off, there is a chance of water spots forming. The good news is that there are many precautions you can take against water spots. Here are a few things to keep in mind to keep water spots away from your vehicle.
Avoid washing the car in the sun, as the wash water will quickly evaporate and leave a deposit.
- As water spots are really just left-behind minerals, water with a high mineral content is more likely to leave a deposit. Water from the city and from wells usually has a high mineral content when compared to rain water, so your car is most at risk after a wash. Rain water is chemically quite pure, so you you don’t need to worry too much about driving in the rain.
- Avoid washing the car in the sun, as the wash water will quickly evaporate and leave a deposit. When washing your car, you want to be in control of all the variables, including when and how your car is dried. Wash in the shade for best results.
- Hand-drying your vehicle is your best option to avoid water spots. When you hand-dry your car, you prevent water from evaporating and leaving behind the little circles of minerals. Never let your car air dry.
- Never park next to sprinklers! Sprinkler water is the same as tap water, and is highly mineralized. If your car gets wet from a sprinkler, hand dry it ASAP.
- Install a spotless water filter at your water source to de-ionize the water. This means you will be washing your car with “soft” water, exposing it to fewer minerals.
If your coated vehicle is started to show water spots, don’t worry. The fix is usually simple and easy for professionals with the right tools and know-how. Click here to get in touch with your local experts. If you’re reading this article as part of your research before getting a ceramic coating, you can find more helpful information right here.