Is Wax Sufficient for Protection?
In the modern automotive world, drivers have seemingly limitless options to choose from when it comes to coatings and waxes. It can be overwhelming, but this post is designed to help you choose which option is right for you.
Sealants and waxes have been around for decades and haven’t really changed much, so you know what you are dealing with. However, in recent years, new products known as ceramic or nanoceramic coatings have revolutionized the automotive detailing world.
The coating bonds on a molecular level with the vehicle’s clear coat, creating an incredibly thin layer of armour on top of the vehicle’s existing paint.
A ceramic coating is a liquid polymer that is applied by hand to the exterior of a vehicle. The coating bonds on a molecular level with the vehicle’s clear coat, creating an incredibly thin layer of armour on top of the vehicle’s existing paint.
Here is a breakdown of the major benefits of ceramic coatings:
- The coatings last longer than any wax available on the market, and are more resistant to scratches than waxes.
- Coatings provide better protection against harmful UV radiation than waxes.
- Coatings are more chemical resistant than waxes. Chemicals your car may encounter include tree sap, acid rain, acidic bird droppings, and harsh degreasers.
- The hydrophobic properties of ceramic coatings make your car incredibly easy to clean, and it will stay clean for longer because dirt, dust, and grime are unable to stick to the coating.
- Coatings create an intense gloss that will remain on your vehicle for years to come.
Traditional waxes and sealants are not without their own benefits. While nanocoatings require specially trained technicians to apply, waxes and sealants can easily be done at home (beware of DIY ceramic coatings; prepping, paint correcting, and applying ceramic coatings is nearly impossible to do at home).
Waxes suit the dedicated detailing enthusiast who enjoys spending the time every few weeks to carefully wash and wax their cars. If you are simply looking to protect your vehicle’s paint from everyday wear and tear, while also getting an intense gloss, then nanoceramic coatings may be right for you. Give us a call or send us a message to start discovering what ceramic coating options are available to you.